Wednesday, December 19, 2007

NOT GETTING EASIER!

Well, it's week three of Owen being in daycare if you count the "phase in week" and things are still pretty much the same. Today I drop him off and Ms. Ester says "it's amazing for a little guy who doesn't speak he really understands things" of course I said what do you mean he doesn't speak???? Apparently in the three weeks that Owen has been there he hasn't said much if anything at all and yesterday was the first day he actually smiled at her. Now, this upsets me because when I call during the day they tell me he is fine, having fun, playing, napping, etc. They never mentioned that my son isn't saying anything or smiling!!! I understand that he doesn't speak in sentences and what he does say is often not clear however, but he does say hi, bye, out, mama, luv you. I asked her if he was saying any of these words and she said no. I explained to her that this is not my kid, at home you can't stop him for talking and he's laughing and dancing all the time. Shouldn't someone have mentioned this to me?

I am very upset about this, the only thing that was making this o.k. for now was that I thought that once I left and he stopped crying (this is what they tell me) that he was having fun with the other kids, playing, making crafts and laughing. Now I find out that he is not saying anything, he isn't laughing and plays by himself most of the day! How much worse can this get. I am so upset. When I got to work I called our agencies post adoption services and left a message for the director asking her to call me and see if there is anything I should be doing for him.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? Should I be doing something for him?? I am very worried about my little guy.

5 Comments:

Blogger kerri said...

Oh Tracy, this breaks my heart.
I am not the person to give advice, but I am sure your agency or social worker could offer some advice.
Are you able to set up a meeting with the daycare?
I bet you are relieved your going to be home soon?
Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.
Hug for Owen. :O)

7:01 PM  
Blogger Shandra said...

Tracy, email me off line if your want wha thw SW in me says. But here is what the Mom is saying...

We have been home just over 3 months. I just built Lilah up to being able to stay in the gym child care with her sister that is is wish 24/7. I had to start off with leaving her 15 mins and it took me a month to get to where I could actually get a full workout in without a major melt down. It really takes time. These little ones have been through so much change already they really can't comprehend what daycare.

Also will your job let you take 6 months off...just a thought. I read your other post. Maybe he just needa a little more time at home with Mom before he is ready for daycare. Maybe take extended mat. leave if they offer it. FMLA????

12:32 AM  
Blogger Shandra said...

SO sorry about all of the typos. I wrote it in the dark and did not read it until published...

12:33 AM  
Blogger kerri said...

Tracy, Bob and Owen,
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year(and what a special one it will be)from the Askews,
Kerri, Jennifer and Jillian.

9:08 AM  
Blogger JMCS said...

Tracy,

I know that things will get better with a little time. Owen is still adjusting to being home and I know that he will come around. He is such a little sweetie.

Hugs,
Jonni

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home