Friday, February 08, 2008

ONE WEEK SINCE SURGERY

It's been a week since Owen had his cleft palate repair and I would be lying if I said everything was great, actually everything is awful....

Owen will not eat or drink, except for the occassional yogurt. He is getting up every two and half hours every night, I am surving on 4 hours sleep and that is not all together, Bob is back to work and this is his weekend to work so I am all by myself and literaly on the verge of a mini-nervous breakdown. I find myself having less patients with him and that really upsets me.

We had our follow up appointment with the surgeon yesterday and he assures me that this is all normal that Owen is in alot of pain and needs to relearn to eat and drink with the repair, very easy for him to say except he is not here, he is not listening to the blood curdling screams. I cried when I asked typically how much longer is this going to last and he said probably about another week of the pain. I don't think I can make it another week. On top of this we need to watch that he doesn't become dehydrated because if he does then we will need to bring him to the hospital for IV.

I don't think I was prepared for this, I don't think I had any idea just how awful this process was going to be. I am one second from crying every minute, and most days I cry alot. I am tired, very very tired.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kim and John said...

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I feel aweful for you and poor little Owen. I wish there was something we could do for you Tracy! I am here for you if you need someone to talk to. Take care of yourself and little Owen.

6:02 PM  
Blogger kerri said...

Hugs, hugs and more hugs.
Oh tracy, I'm so sorry you and Owen are going through this.
I wish there was something we could do for you, please!! don't beat yourself up for being a little less than patient. Your tired , your stressed and it is hard watching your child be in such discomfort.I know you are a fabulous Mom, I hope this all ends for you all very soon and things get back on track.
Please take care of yourself too,okay!! Hugs...

2:50 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Oh Tracy, I am sending you a huge HUG!!! Sounds so hard what you and Owen are dealing with now, but you are both being very brave.

love,
jen

7:33 PM  
Blogger Cora & Mike said...

Oh Tracy, so sorry to hear it! Poor little guy. And poor mama too!

If it makes you feel any better, I am up most of the night with a screaming infant so in the middle of the night when you want to tear your hair out, remember you are NOT alone! Many mommies are up at three in the morning and are ready to have a meltdown - I've had several!!! Everyone reminds me that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, so I'll tell you the same thing. You WILL get through this, believe in yourself and in Owen! It will all be OK soon enough!

Hugs!!

Love,
Cora

1:00 PM  
Blogger Shandra said...

HUGS I wish I were there to provide you with some relief. Cry when you need to. You will both get through this.

11:37 PM  
Blogger kerri said...

Thinking of you, wondering how things are going.
Hope Owen is feeling somewhat improved.
Hugs going all the way to you..

1:16 PM  
Blogger JMCS said...

Honey, I am sorry. I am thinking of you. I understand completely about the not knowing the process was this difficult. I thought the same thing when we had Sofia's cleft palate done. I am actually glad I didn't know because I probably would have just worried. You are an amazing mama and I promise it gets better.

Love,
Jonni

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home